Whiskey is a popular alcoholic drink all over the world. The endless flavors and aroma make it so versatile. Some whiskey veterans tell you that whiskey is best served as part of a cocktail, while others prefer it neat. Whether you prefer it straight or on the rocks, whiskey has earned its place on the shelf in bars everywhere.
The world of whiskey is a complex maze of grain selection, distillation processes, and flavor creations. The basic ingredients cannot be more straightforward. You need:
- Grain of choice (from barley to rye to corn)
So, what does whiskey taste like? Whiskey flavors are infinite. New flavors enter the market every so often. It all depends on what you want right now. If you’re new to the world of whiskey or looking to know your favorite drink better, here are a few pointers.
Whiskey Flavor Profiles
Unfortunately, there’s no single description of what whiskey tastes like. And that’s a great thing because it means you can experience whiskey in as many forms and flavors as your curiosity allows. Everything in the production, from the type of grain to the length of time and the casks used, contributes to the final taste.
Some of the profiles that whiskey can have include smoky, fruity, nutty and chocolaty. No matter what, expect it to taste like alcohol because of its high alcoholic content.
Scotland, Ireland, Canada and the US are leading whiskey producers. Other countries the world over also produce quality whiskey. Japan, for instance, is emerging as a big name in the whiskey industry. The broad market ensures there is something for everyone, and each whiskey specialist has a different opinion on which whiskey is the best.
Standard whiskeys are “unflavored.” That is not to say that they are tasteless. It simply means that producers didn’t make a deliberate effort to add flavors to the drink. As mentioned earlier, the production process gives every whiskey a distinctive taste.
Whiskey experts will tell you that these brands of unflavored whiskeys are excellent:
- Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey: This whiskey is fit for a king and was made for one with its flagship created in honor of King George VI. It is one of the most expensive whiskeys in 2022.
- Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey: Jack Daniel’s Tennessee is the third most popular whiskey brand in the U.S. It remains a best seller the world over.
- Jameson Irish Whiskey: Jameson Irish whiskey is well known all over the world. 90% of it is exported throughout the world. Have you tasted this gem?
- Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whiskey: Maker’s Mark is sweet and spicy. The whiskey became the first premium whiskey when launched back in 1958. The distiller claimed that it’s the easiest drink compared to any other whiskey brand.
- Wild Turkey Bourbon Whiskey: It is an inexpensive and classic bourbon that packs spice, heat, and hints of honey and oak in excellent proportions.
- Bulleit Bourbon Whiskey: Bulleit Bourbon whiskey is 45% ABV. Its taste continues to please most American whiskey lovers. It has more rye in its mash and the quantity in each packed bonnet wows. It was launched in 1987 and is currently owned by Diageo. However, it dates back to 1830 when it was then co-owner Augustus, Thomas Bulleit’s great grandfather, bottled his first batch.
- Johnnie Walker Scotch Whiskey: Johnnie Walker is the most popular scotch whiskey in the universe and is worth the legacy of its eponymic founder.
Time and space don’t allow us to mention every great brand.
You may be excused if you imagine that honey and cinnamon are the only whiskey flavors in the market. After all, it’s alcohol; how creative can you get with it, right? Wrong. Whiskey distilleries are experimenting with different flavors and coming up with the unexpected.
Here are just a few brands proving that you can enjoy your favorite drink in your favorite flavor.
Peanut Butter Flavored Whiskey
Enjoy the richness of peanut butter beyond the breakfast table by taking in a glass of one of these:
- 99 Peanut Butter Whiskey
- Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey
- Sheep Dog Peanut Butter Whiskey
Apple Flavored Whiskey
Enjoy the classic apple taste in a glass. Whether it’s neat or on the rocks, these will give you the flavor you desire:
- Jack Daniels Tennessee Apple Flavored Whiskey
- Crown Royal Regal Apple Flavored Whiskey
- Bird Dog Apple Whiskey
Maple Flavored Whiskeys
If you love maple and want to experience more than just maple syrup, try these beauties:
- Bird Dog Maple Whiskey
- SAP 56 Maple Whiskey
Cinnamon Flavored Whiskeys
Ah, the smell of cinnamon rolls combined with your favorite drink. Enjoy it in these cinnamon flavored whiskies:
- Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey
- Sunfire Cinnamon Whiskey
- Tennessee Legend Cinnamon Whiskey
Peach Flavored Whiskeys
Who needs peach pie when you can get your palate satisfied with a peach flavored whiskey? Rich and Rare Peach Whiskey & Ole Smoky Tennessee Peach Whiskey are just two of the popular varieties out there.
Honey Flavored Whiskeys
Enjoy the goodness of honey and healthy sugar, all bottled up in spirits including:
- Wild Turkey American Honey
- Evan Williams Honey
- Jim Beam Honey Bourbon Whiskey
As you can tell, there’s an endless world of whiskeys to experience. Enjoy both standard and rare choices in cozy and fancy restaurants in NYC like Fine and Rare.